03 August 2009

The benefits of Firefox and Internet Explorer

I find it humorous that something as simple as a web browser has such a profound impact on people. Some people live and die by a certain one. I've gotten into heated discussions with people regarding the benefits of Firefox and Internet Explorer. Depending on who I'm arguing against, I'll take one side over the other. Just because I'm a huge fan of debating.

I've heard all the compelling points for browser support. IE displays content in a way that is more pleasing to the eye. Firefox has security measures that you won't find on any other browser. Those are just a couple of arguments I've heard before.

The truth I find is that the more I use various browsers, the more I find that they're the same. Of course there are some subtle differences. If you're a very particular person then Firefox has a slew of add-ons to take advantage of. However, that doesn't make it the great escape from IE that everyone makes it out to be. At the end of the day, both products bring us the glorious internet.

The debate of web browsers in my eyes paints a perfect picture of the idiocies of human behavior. We become so engrained in thinking a certain way, or staying with a certain product that we can't be told anything different. I believe I've mentioned it before in my writing, but think about the debate between Coke and Pepsi. Which one is better you ask, well that depends on who you talk to.

Along with Firefox, and Internet Explorer there are a slew of other browsers out there. All of which do primarily the same thing -- act as a portal for the world wide web. So, what little things keep you from using one web browser over the other? Are you a designer and hate all the browsers, with the intricacies you have to mind when designing a site? Come on, I know you're out there.

No comments: