05 August 2009

AP Charges $12.50 To Quote 5 Words

If there's one word, or thought that has really changed in the past decade it's 'journalism'. Ten years ago you thought of a journalist as someone who was on the TV reading you the news, or a reporter writing in a newspaper. Nowadays, anyone can be a journalist. Hell, you can almost call what I do journalism.

You can bet that this change of cultural definition concerning journalism has many of the traditional outlets upset. Don't believe me? Check out this story, reporting that the AP is going to start charging for having their content quoted. For example, if I wanted to quote something from the AP here and it was 20 words long, then I would owe them $12.50.

I almost couldn't believe this story when I read it. I could understand them charging if the person quoting them wasn't linking back. I guess it really comes down to how much they value their incoming links. I really don't want to relish on this too much, as it has been known for awhile that the AP really has no clue how to handle the online arena.

The story that really has me interested is from the New York Times, and it concerns YouTube. Earlier in the year, YouTube launched a service called 'News Near You'. It's a platform that generates videos concerning news in your nearby area. It's still relatively new, so not many affiliates have signed up yet. Where I live, only one news affiliate has posted videos on the channel.

This scenario is interesting, because station owners have a decision on their hands. Do they try and build traffic to their own site where they receive greater revenue? Or dance with the YouTube devil and get their company name out there and take a hit for ad revenue? Talk about some tricky market analysis; have fun with that one you experts.. ;)

No comments: